Saturday, May 31, 2008

A crimp in my style

This whole gas price soaring thing is putting a crimp in my style. All activities are now judged on how far they are and whether it's really necessary. On the other hand I'm more conservative and careful with errand running. I don't go to Walmart every other day and put all errands off until there are enough of them to warrant going out. The down-side is that I'm less likely to go to Salt Lake to visit my grandma or others, or a museum or other attraction. Shoot, I won't even go to Provo if I can avoid it. Stupid that gas is actually a consideration to going to the temple. We have a hard time finding sitters here for that and then we could ask Mom and Dad Wessman but we'd have to drive up there. Aggravating that's what it is. Don't get me wrong, we're not desperate, far from it, but I dislike that gas has suddenly taken on a more prevalent role in my planning and my plans to invite others here. I never used to feel guilty inviting Salt Lake Valley folks down for a get-together. In fact today we worked really hard in the yard and it looks great and I thought we should celebrate all this with a bbq with _______(insert your name here). But then I thought about the cost of gas and kept quiet. ( I also contemplated that Alan would get a lot more consulting done without a party, but that was low on my list.) There, I've finally got that off my chest and can go on to complain about other stuff later.

4 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

I'd drive to your house for a bbq.

Scott said...

I've thought the same thing about inviting people out here this summer...though it's a bit farther than Salt Lake to Utah County.

Derek said...

I was going to invite us for a barbecue to your house, but [looks at the shambles' comment] ...nevermind.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

I'm not happy about gas prices, mind. But I'm thinking there is a silver lining: we are more aware and appreciative of our mobility. Now we value the visit more, knowing it cost more. We have become more efficient in errand-running. We spend more time at home, generally, which is not a bad thing when you consider how much family time was neglected for other pursuits. So, just look at the bright side and plan your BBQ. We'll all celebrate.