Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Alyssa

Today was the second time Lori, Alyssa's speech therapist, has come to work with Alyssa. Alyssa has been diagnosed with apraxia (yea, I'd never heard of it either) and today Lori was amazed by the progress Alyssa had made. She has learned how to put a "d", "p", and "m" on the end of words although this doesn't transfer to regular talking for her yet. I was most pleased that Lori was stunned when she went to work with her on several other letter sounds that Alyssa hadn't been able to say and was able to say today. She is hopeful that at this rate Alyssa will be right on target by kindergarten, talking like a normal 5 year old. This makes me very happy since talking right is essential to reading and spelling. We will keep on working. Alyssa has been great and hasn't shown any signs of frustration or discouragement so we'll just keep on doing what we've been doing. The other side of this is that I am learning a lot about speech and teaching it to little ones. Maybe I should go back and get a degree in speech therapy.

2 comments:

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Prayers + effort + faith = results every time. You have employed them all and earned the blessings. Kudos to Alyssa, too, for her willingness to do her part. That has been pretty remarkable.

Ami Paulsen said...

Horray for Alyssa! That's such great news. You are such an amazing mom! I knew you would work hard with her. That's just the kind of mom you are. You are a great example to me! :)