Thursday, November 30, 2006

random stuff

Today is the last day of November and that makes me happy. It means Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat and all that. It also means that tomorrow the girls will start opening the advent doors in the advent wooden box we have. In past years I put candy in the boxes but this year I have planned activities for each day and will put a little card listing what the day's activity is in each box. I am excited! We are going to be reading new Christmas stories (thanks to Sarah's book order), and making cookies, writing and visiting Santa, doing some fun craft projects, decorating a gingerbread house (without eggs), and other stuff.

The girls all have coughs now. It was just Sarah but she shared. They're not too bad and I'm hopeful they will not get too bad.

The wind has blown the snow against the front door creating a small drift. I wonder if it will help insulate the cracks around the door and prevent the cold cold wind from blowing in. That would be good since having to reshovel the front walk isn't all that appealing. I'm not even going to bother trying to reshovel the sidewalk after the snow plow covered it up with icy snow again. It would take forever and be downright crazy considering how much ice there is. People will just have to either be careful or walk on the other side of the street where the snow plow didn't unshovel the sidewalks.

Not that I want anyone to think we're desperate, because we're no where near desperate, but finances wouldn't allow me to do the usual buying of presents thing and so I made a couple of gifts and the girls are getting a combined Santa gift and Alan and I aren't buying for ourselves (except in October I did buy something actually) but anyway the point is Christmas means more this year to me. I'm slow but I can learn. We are focused more on the point of Christmas and are having more fun even without the shopping and gifts. (Alan was waiting years for me to figure this out I'm sure.)

I do have to pat myself on the back for a brilliant strategy I figured out recently. The girls are in charge of cleaning up their own messes- i.e. the playroom mostly. When I send them down it takes them forever because they just start playing some other game or Sarah sits on the couch and reads while Emmie picks up. So, I let them take turns choosing which room they would like to clean and one cleans the playroom and the other picks up the family room. I usually give myself a room too (usually the kitchen) and away we go. We have a contest to see who will be done first. The person who wins helps the other until everything is tidy. This way the house is always tidy before bed and usually it leaves us enough time to play games together. They get mommy to play with them and I get a clean house. It works well so far.

Guess what Emmie told me she wants for Christmas. Yes, a princess dress. It apparently isn't enough that she has a new Cinderella dress and pink Aurora dress. She needs a Snow White one too. Unbelievable. Unfortunately for her, we've made other plans for her Christmas gifts. I'm just amazed at how girlie this girl is. She loves to dress up and takes turns deciding what princess she is. What cracks me up is how girlie she is without any flowing girlie locks on her head.

Sarah didn't win the reflections contest which is fine with both of us. She got a kit-kat bar out of it and so wasn't disappointed in the least and I just wanted her to have the experience of entering so we're both good.

Well that's about enough rambling. See you all later.

No comments: