Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Traditions

We watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional and since then I've been thinking about Christmas traditions. Alan and I have traditionally adopted the Wessman tradition of Christmas Eve at his Aunt's house but this year we are branching off and staying home. I remember several traditions from my growing-up years including singing carols on Christmas Eve with only the candles to supply light. There was always the project of helping some other family in the ward anonymously of course, and the huge feast on Christmas Eve. One thing Alan and I adopted from my family is the practice of opening presents Christmas morning. Starting at the youngest, each family member chooses a gift from under the tree to give someone else. No one may choose a gift addressed to themselves. Then we all watch whoever open the present before the next person chooses a present. Alan, being Alan, doesn't remember too many traditions from his childhood. What things do you all remember?

3 comments:

Cora said...

We've considered creating a new tradition for Christmas Eve, but knowing how much it means to Naney and Grandpa, we'll hang in as long as they do.

Linda G. Paulsen said...

I believe my favorite traditions are those that require children. I loved that the kids prepared and performed a Christmas Eve play each year. And I loved having each child draw a name among their siblings for whom they had to create a gift rather than buy one. I'm considering regenerating the Christmas play idea on our family celebration day...just a living nativity thing. I think kids like to act it out, and if we don't do it while they're young, they'll soon protest.

Eric said...

We do the feast thing, and the taking turns Christmas morning thing. We usually go to someone's house on Christmas Eve, but the feast is mandatory. I tried the singing thing once, but I was all alone on that one.