Wednesday, January 24, 2007

update

The word to describe our family the last month is sick. We did have one week where everyone was well, but then I got a sinus infection and Sarah got strep throat and then a week later Emmie got strep throat. We are all feeling better overall and are hoping to stay well for at least a month. Sarah needs to have her tonsil out and so I am trying to find an excellent doctor for her at Primary Children's. Alyssa hasn't been sleeping well and I have no idea why most of the time. Sometimes I know it's due to a stomach ache. She is like Sarah in that way, slow to adjust to new foods. Pity.

Alyssa is standing for up to 30 seconds now and enjoys trying to walk between Alan and I but she gets so excited that she leans way forward and so hasn't actually managed to walk on her own yet. I love how she giggles and growls when the girls play "monster". She is so cute.

Sarah had her walking report card a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit absurd (can you find the 'f' Sarah) as she had mastered all the skills way before she entered kindergarten but she had fun and we did get to hear her read a book on her level. We love her teacher and are happy with what she does in school. We liked the book she wrote. Title: Alyssa Page One: Alyssa makes funny faces. Page Two: Alyssa has six teeth. Page Three: Alyssa likes to eat paper.

Emmie loves preschool and dress-up. She just started primary as a sunbeam and is by far the smallest one. She is also the one with the least amount of hair which gives her the appearance of being a nursery child in the wrong spot. Oh well. She knows all her letters and is starting to learn letter sounds. She likes to color and is getting pretty good at coloring in the lines, thanks to Sarah's coaching. Emmie is a sweetheart and is quick to help out and share with her sisters.

About a month ago the tattling and selfishness of mostly Sarah were starting to drive me crazy and so we had several family home evenings about showing love and being kind and unselfish. The girls have been remarkable at implementing the lessons and I haven't heard any tattles or complaints for about 2 weeks. I wish I learned that quickly. They share everything they get with each other and take turns and Sarah has even begun to put Emmie's wants before her own. It makes me so happy to see them getting along so well and our home has such a nice Spirit to it now. I wonder how long it will last. Any ideas for how to keep it going? Should I reward them, remind them periodically, or just assume they've got the message?

I miss the holidays. There isn't anything to look forward to and I miss the chance to see and interact with family. Perhaps I'll organize a Valentine's Day Party or something. If we can all stay healthy and it's not too cold we are going to the zoo on the 31st which is supposed to be free. Who wants to come with us?

Well the girls are all asleep now and I need to read my scriptures and I hope, don't be mad Coralee, to take a nap too so I'll end this now.

1 comment:

Cora said...

Someday I am going to take a nap. (Probably when I'm 80.)