Wednesday, September 20, 2006

2 trips

Today was a long sort of day. Any day that one makes two trips to the dr.'s is long. This morning after a 4th night of Alyssa continually waking up crying I finally took her in to see if she had an ear infection. The good news is she doesn't and also that I can give her a whole lot more ibeprophin than I was before. The bad news is that she's trying to cut her 4 top teeth all at the same time. I had thought that was the problem which is why I didn't take her in sooner. (in case you think I'm an idiot.) She is also congested with a slight cold.
Sarah has a really nice cough going with her congestion but is starting to improve. (You gotta love sending them to school the first few years where they can bring home every bug that comes around.)
Emmie, poor little thing, has had the roughest day. She's had a cold too but today seemed more listless and not well. At naps she just sobbed quiet little sobs I finally sang her to sleep. She was only asleep for 1/2 hour when she woke up crying again. I thought perhaps a bath would soothe her and help the achiness she must have but in pursuing that option she indicated that she didn't want to take a bath because going potty hurts. Ah ah. So I called the dr.'s office again. Naturally she had to go potty before we left and so we waited awhile for her to drink much water in order to get a sample. Yep, she's got a bladder infection. I suggested the dr. check her ears too and sure enough they're infected as well. Poor little tyke.
Now they are all asleep, even Alyssa. I drugged them all with decongestants and pain medication, gave them all loves and kisses and tucked them in. Alan has gone back to work and I have a minute of quiet. Alan, I might mention, was noble enough to come home at 3:45 when I called him in the midst of trying to bathe Emmie with Alyssa screaming in her crib and said over the noise of the screaming children, "Alan, COME HOME." I forgot to mention that in calling the doctor's the receptionist said, "You can come at 6 pm or now." I of course said "now." Problem was that I couldn't get Sarah to wake up and so I took the baby monitor and Alyssa across the street to the neighbors with the assurance for her that Alan was on his way home and would be there in 10 minutes. Fortunately Sarah stayed asleep until Alan woke her up 45 min. later and Alyssa didn't scream at the neighbors'.

No comments: