We went on vacation to Salt Lake, yes I know this was way far away from our hometown but the price was right and it met all the qualifications for a vacation. Namely, Alan wasn't working, we didn't sleep in our own home, we spent money eating out and going to tourist attractions and on souvenirs for the girls. Thursday after lunch we went to Wheeler farm. It was really neat and well worth the few dollars for the wagon ride. I also spent $1.50 on a tour of the home which I enjoyed tons! I love seeing how that era lived and pretending how it would be for me, then being really really grateful that I didn't live then. It was quite informative to see the root cellars, ice-house, and summer kitchen. The house though was my most favorite. I learned tons.
After that we drove up the canyon and hiked to Hidden Falls. Lovely. Then a picnic at Silver Lake which was cold as the sun had just gone down. Fortunately we had planned on that and the kids were warm even if I wasn't. Then it was off to the Grandparents Inn, a lovely hotel we have been aware of for years but haven't really visited since we had kids.
Friday morning we went out to breakfast at Cracker Barrel then to Liberty Park. What a cool playground!!! After that we headed off for Heritage Park at This is the Place State Park, so as to allow Emmie to nap in the car, and arrived to find that the season had ended and were thus sorely disappointed not to see the village with pioneer actors doing pioneer things. Back we went to the Grandparents Inn for naps, intended for the kids but only I actually napped. That afternoon we caught Trax and headed off to see the library. WOW!! We continued to the Gateway were we visited the aquarium. Hmmm, not cool for the entrance fee but I did like the octopus changing colors and touching a sting ray. We ate dinner at McGraths. Mmmmm! Lastly we let the girls choose a stuffed animal to stuff and love from Make a Bear Workshop. Emmie, of course, chose a frog. Sarah surprised us by choosing a pink poodle. Later we found out that it was the only pink stuffed critter and thus the only possible choice. (She's into pink lately.) It was way too expensive but who cares, we were on vacation. (We spent more on the poodle's outfit than I normally spend on Sarah's.) Very tired we headed home and let the girls unwind at the Grandparents Inn (did I mention our rooms came equipped with toys?)
Saturday we rode Trax again and visited the Church Museum. Way cool!! Sarah and Emmie loved it and happily played for almost 2 hours. Lunch was at JB's and then we went to Temple Square. We visited the south visitor's center where I cried while watching some of the church's commercials. (The little girls sharing cupcakes always gets me.) Emmie was pretty whiney and tired so we called it a day and headed for the train station. Just as the Sandy train pulled up we saw that Emmie had fallen asleep. Sooo, we headed off for the malls to do a little browsing so she could nap. Not much in those malls anymore. When she awoke we headed back to our lovely accomodations and let the kids play awhile. After dinner, the Hotel Manager ordered Chinese take out. (I'm telling you this is quite the place!) I was off to a baby shower while Alan played with the girls. It was a lovely vacation!!
No comments:
Post a Comment