Sunday, October 23, 2011

creative in the kitchen

Today I did two things I've never done before in the kitchen. Alan bought gummy worms for the girls on the way home from Capital Reef. I didn't open them yesterday so today I thought I'd make chocolate pudding and put the worms in them with crushed chocolate cookies, you know the whole worms in dirt ploy. But alas, I didn't have any chocolate pudding, so I looked in up in my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook and found a recipe for chocolate pudding. I made homemade pudding! This may not sound like much to you homemaker types that make all kinds of stuff from scratch, but this was my first time making pudding from scratch. YUM! I may never go back to the instant stuff. The pudding called for 4 egg yolks so that left me with a bowl full of egg-whites. Hum, what to do with this? Having watched Chopped last night I realized I could make a meringue. So I did. Alan and I whipped those egg-whites into stiff peaks and I made nine piles on the cookie sheet and baked them. Yum again. Who knew? Meringues with whipped cream on top for dessert topped off the creative macaroni dish Alan made for dinner. Now who's going to come over and clean up the kitchen?

3 comments:

Jacob S. Paulsen said...

Wow, very blog worthy. I love the small personal victories in life

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Hooray for the hidden homemaker in you!

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Ummm. I meant hidden cook-from-scratch kitchen wiz type in you, but it wasn't as alliterative.