Friday, March 13, 2009

Activities


Starting March I've been doing activities with the girls every day. I mean actual planned things we can do or learn together. I had been doing this last year but I became lazy and a slacker and quit several months ago (like maybe 6 months :( ) Anyway, my new plan goes like this:
Monday: Spring cleaning chore we do together. This is actually fun since it's a chore we rarely do and we can do it together while listening to funky children's songs.
Tuesday: Arts and Crafts. I get most ideas of the internet or the family fun magazine
Wednesday: Learn about a modern-day prophet. This week was Pres. Monson. Ask us anything, we might remember the answer.
Thursday: Game day. I chose the game to avoid argument and also because there are some games I just don't like to play...period.
Friday: Field trip or felt story. If we do a felt story we tell the story with the felt and then dramatize it. Last week we did Noah's ark and thankfully we had enough stuffed animals to cover the living room ark. (See picture above.)
Saturday: Field trip or felt story. Some field trips have to be on Sat. like the gem festival at Spanish Fork fairgrounds March 21st.
Sunday: Something from the Friend Magazine. I can't believe how much stuff is in there. I hadn't looked at a friend since Sarah learned to read them to herself and they disappeared into the confines of her room as soon as they arrived. Since Emily reads too they now have to stay out on the magazine table and I was looking in them for ideas for Sunday. WOW! I've been missing out. Last Sunday we did this. page 13. (Walk by Faith)

We switched days around and did our field trip yesterday this week. We went to the BYU art museum where we had a blast visiting their exhibit on the "I Spy" guy Wick. It was super cool, I recommend it to anyone. Plus it's free. :) Later this month on the week we learn about Brigham Young we'll be coming to Salt Lake to see the Lion House.

This has been a good way for me to build more positive relationships with the girls rather than just being the mom that tells them to pick up their room. We have fun together and we have something to look forward to every day. (I survive by looking forward to something fun.)

5 comments:

Scott said...

It looks like a great plan.

And wow, those are a lot of stuffed animals!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like lots of fun!

Ami Paulsen said...

Shannon; you are in inspiration to moms everywhere!

Linda G. Paulsen said...

Hooray! Maybe I can tag along sometimes? Check out the Beehive House--they used to have free tours with horhound drops at the end for treats. The Lion House is next door.

Karyn said...

Way to go Super-Mom! I wish I had the energy to do that every day.