Sunday, June 25, 2006

a few thoughts

In primary today we had the most awesome closing prayer given by an 8 year old girl. She said, "...bless that this will be the day of our dreams, and that this will be the church of Jesus Christ forever, and that if something bad happens here we will all live and survive." It was great!

I did sharing time again, I'm doing 3 in a row for which reasons I won't share. Sometimes I seem able to hold them in the palm of my hand and keep their attention and other days no matter what I try they are just out of control. Today was a good day. My preparation paid off and they enjoyed some time to color, move and talk. I really enjoy being in primary. Not only do I hear cute things, like the above prayer, but the spirit is usually so strong with these little ones. I especially love the sunbeams, followed by the 4 and 5 year olds. They are so enthusiastic and so attentive (if you know how to hold their attention) and so eager to share, sing and respond. Senior primary is fun too because they are easier to teach and interact with as a whole. They also have these developed senses of humor and so respond to humor a little bit more. We have several children with autism and I learned this week that one of them really likes music and so we will try and bring him in during singing time. (Otherwise he has a special helper that is with him the 2 hours of primary. He goes into nursery for snacks, flips through a phone book, and goes for walks.)

Emmie is such a crack-up. She says funny things in funny ways and insists on wearing a dress because she is so "booteeful."

Sarah amazes us with her drawings which seem to improve every day. She is also starting to read stories on her own rather than just look at the pictures. Her questions still tend to drive me crazy after awhile but she is trying hard to think before she asks them which means some of them are quite creative.

Alan is the greatest dad and husband and I'm sorry there aren't more of him to go around for the rest of you. I am thankful every day for him, and especially when I see or hear others talk about their husbands. I really feel this way more and more and wonder how I got so lucky.

Well that a few more than a few thoughts so I'll finish by sharing my amazement of Pres. Hinkley at 96. If I live to be that old I hope I'll be just as enthusiastic and spry as he is.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Great Post.